Thursday, March 18, 2010

Just When You Thought You Were Safe

Cherry came back!!

I just read in the National Confectioners Association newsletter that Nestle is coming out with Cherry Raisinets (as if Cranberry Raisinets were not enough). I'm still pissed off that these are even called RAISINets. There are NO raisins involved! Hello??

Nestle is trying to position these as (surprise) healthy. According to them, "Cherry Raisinets provides 1/2 a serving of real fruit in every 1/4 cup and 30% less fat than the chocolate brands." What? I don't even understand the second part of that corporate spin. 30% less than the chocolate brands of what? Maybe they meant to say 30% less chocolate than something that had no cherries and was just blobs of chocolate.

That can be the next product! Chocolate Raisinets with no raisins, just chocolate! I see Peanut Raisinets as well, maybe Mint and Caramel Raisinets! How about Marshmallow Raisinets or Peanut Butter Raisinets? Let the Raisinet franchise roll!!

The Cherry Raisinets are going to start hitting the shelves this month. I'm sure I'll try 'em, but I have to say I'm still completely over the whole cherry thing. Those damn Gimbals chews put me over the edge.

The lesson - all things in moderation. Too much of anything is a bad thing. Well, maybe not peanut butter, but everything else. Yes, even sex. Ask Tiger Woods.

No comments: