Thursday, August 14, 2008

Saving Melting Chocolate

Timing is everything, isn't it? As a nod to the scary economy, I decided not to take a big trip this year (although the year ain't over yet!), and instead, to pay off my townhouse. Last Friday, I sent in a big check and paid off my mortgage. I'm pretty proud of this - I've been in my house less than five years. I hate debt with a passion.

On Friday I also got in a big shipment of Belgian chocolates I'd ordered to use in a marketing campaign for my chocolate seminars: http://www.firestarspeaking.com/seminars.htm.

On Saturday my air conditioner died.

Paying off my home and then having a major item break was ironic. What that heat would do to my chocolate was horrific! Chocolate should be stored at 68 to 72 degrees Fahrenheit. When I noticed it was getting warm in my house it was already 79 degrees. Immediately I thought of my children - I have LOTS of chocolate in my house! I couldn't let my babies MELT! (I don't have any actual human children, but I have a deep, emotional connection to my chocolate.)

Luckily my stock of real food isn't that huge. (Why bother with anything besides chocolate really?) You would be surprised at how many boxes you can actually fit in a refrigerator. (Notice all the bars on the the top shelf and in the veggie drawer.) It's a good thing I live alone. No normal human could possibly put up with this.




So the chocolate fit - yay! One problem solved! And thank the powers that run the universe, North Carolina is having the weirdest cool weather EVER right now. It's been in the 80's which is unheard of this time of year. Last year we were in the 100's. I am one lucky girl!!


So the story becomes one of gratitude. Thank goodness the chocolate fit in the frig, thank goodness the weather has been so mild, and thank goodness I still have enough money left to pay for a new AC! Life will crank up the heat on us plenty of times, it's part of living. It's how you react to it that matters. Hey, as long as your chocolate doesn't melt, you will live to fight another day!

2 comments:

About Me said...

I am in STITCHES!!! Oh m'gosh, this blog is hilarious! I remember when my fridge looked like yours and I didn't have to stuff it with all of the things that little boys and big men eat. I hope your seminar attendees fully appreciate the lengths you are going through to make sure their lives are filled with the joy of glorious chocolate.
(By the way, what brand of yogurt is that on the top shelf?)
LOL! Awesome post.

Candy Gurus said...

Dear Fridge:

You sure have lots of chocolate. Yum.

Think you might need some gummies.

Best,
Matt

http://candygurus.blogspot.com/