Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Ice Cream - It's Not Just for Dessert Anymore

You know how I feel about candy makers making political statements. Remember my rant about organic chocolate? (See September 27, 2008) Well that was nothing! Check this out:

Ben & Jerry's celebrates the beginning of the freedom to marry for gay and lesbian couples in Vermont with the symbolic renaming of its well-known ice cream flavor "Chubby Hubby" to "Hubby Hubby."

Oh please.

Look - I really don't mind who marries who. As long as both parties are adults and both are free to choose - rock on. But I don't want my ice cream to get into the political fray! Can't there be one safe haven?

I mean, let's try these flavors on for size:

Pro-Choice Pomegranate

Anti-Abortion Almond

Bail-Out Banana

Healthcare Reform Raspberry

I think ice cream should be about ice cream not politics. Can't we just buy a product because we like it, not because we want to embrace a political view? Can't our refrigerators and candy dishes be political free zones where we can all come together - united by our taste buds?

And, at the end of the day, do the decision makers at Ben and Jerry's really think someone is going to change their belief system because of the name of an ice cream flavor? Do I really have to think about two men married to each other when I eat ice cream? (I don't really want to have Hubby Wifey ice cream either.)

I feel like the last safe bastion of summer and goodness and fun and carefree lazy days has been invaded by politics. Here's to taking ice cream back!

Hey - if Ben and Jerry's really wants to do something politically correct - maybe they should stop making ice cream at all. After all, there is an obesity epidemic. Maybe they should just call it "Tubby Chubby" and sell shaved ice.

Ice cream and politics just don't mix.

No comments: