Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chocolate Doesn't Always Make it Better

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again - just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it.

This line of chocolate covered cereal is made by Nassau Candy and is carried by Walmart.  And it's pretty damn bad.

First up is Cinnamon Crunch:




If you love cinnamon crunch cereal, you might like this.  But you might also find yourself asking, "Why?  My cinnamon crunch cereal is really good.  Slathering it in chocolate doesn't really make it better.  Why do it?"


Honey Toasted O's:


Ewwww- these taste completely stale.  Completely stale cereal coated in chocolate.  Gross.


Fruity O's (Fruit Loop knock-offs covered in chocolate):


This is just wrong.  Again the cereal seems kind of stale and the fruit flavor overpowers the chocolate.  And let's face it, it's not like this is a great fruit flavor.  Fruit Loops are best as a cereal and that's where they need to stop.  This is the Spawn of Satan.



And finally, Toasted Rice:

This is by far the least heinous of all the flavors and the only one that seemed fresh (all are well before their listed expiration dates).  This might actually be good mixed with raisins and peanuts or other ingredients.  As it is, it's kind of bland.


If you want to get one of these, this is the best one.  However, there are only about 10,000 better candy options.  I predict this line will not be around for long.

Not everything has to be coated in chocolate - something are best left just as they are.

12 comments:

Kris, in New England said...

Actually I bet the rice ones would be good in a homemade party snack; think pretzels, peanuts, M&Ms and those chocolate rice things.

theflippist said...

Hahahaha...Spawn of Satan. I think I'll stay away. Thanks for the warning!

Denise Ryan said...

Hi Ben! It's not often I get to use THAT phrase!! Thanks for reading and for commenting!! Those Fruit Loop ones are totally scary! : )

Sylvia said...

My teeth are actually throbbing just looking at those! And I would think adding milk would make a big, soggy, mess!!

Denise Ryan said...

Kris - me too!! They were the best of the lot, but they need a little something. Your idea would do it!

Denise Ryan said...

Sunny - oh - I didn't even think of that! YIKES!!! : )

GotChocolate said...

Wow, all those "snacks" (would crows even eat that stuff?) look absolutely GROSS!!!

Denise Ryan said...

Laura - you should try some just for the horror of it!! : ) But I think crows might even stay away! Ha, ha!!!

Ben Z said...

I only eat food that crows enjoy.

Denise Ryan said...

Ben Z - you have just the dark sense of humor we like!! I'm not sure what crows eat, but there was an episode of CSI where one had an eyeball, so I think it's safe to say it's pretty wide open. (uh - no pun intended)

Spunge said...

I've had the fruity ones...tasted fairly decent and weren't at all stale. I may try the rice variety, as that's probably the closest to something I used to love getting in Japan: Choco Flakes from Morinaga...a chocolated covered corn flake snack...excellent.

Denise Ryan said...

Spunge - thanks for the comment! Those Choco Flakes sound AWESOME!!! I fear these might disappoint you - but let me know what you think.