Monday, April 26, 2010

Men are from Mars, Shortbread is from Heaven

You know, some days are great and some days are not so great. Today was going pretty good until I spoke with a guy from match.com. Yep, I'm still on (and off) match.com. It seems to be the only way I ever meet any men, so I just can't seem to tear myself away.  But (as many of you know) my results have been far less than stellar. Obviously I am insane and keep doing the same thing expecting a different result. Am I any less insane if I realize it?

Anyway, the guy today wanted me to drop all my plans so I could have dinner with him tonight - I told him I was booked up until the weekend, why didn't we plan something for then? He said he didn't plan that far in advance. That I should cancel my plans to hit the gym - after all, he might be the man of my dreams. I said the man of my dreams wouldn't expect me to drop my plans at the last minute and would want to date a woman who actually had a life.

He was pretty put off by this and couldn't believe I would choose to go to the gym over having dinner with him. I said, "I don't even know you - why should I change my plans? I'll be glad to meet you this weekend or some other time that works for you." Nope, he couldn't make a plan that far in advance and somehow after we hung up, I felt like the inflexible, problematic one.

Then the UPS man came and the heavens opened:



Walker's Shortbread sent me a box of products to review!  Do you hear the angels singing?  I LOVE Walker's Shortbread!  My day is sooooo much better now!  And I can't wait to try these flavors!

These cookies brought me back to myself and reminded me that giving up what's important to you for anybody else is crazy.  And anybody who wants you to is not worth getting to know - they've already shown you who they are.  Maybe I'm not so insane after all.

Yay for Walker's!!  Yay for cookies!!  Boo for jerks!!

4 comments:

David R. Lindquist said...

Denise, we so have to get this straightened out!! You are bright and imaginative. These Match guys aren't for you. Even as lazy as I am, I didn't use that "service" to find the dream woman. Let's talk sometime and come up with ideas appropriate to YOU!

jeff said...

Lowering your standards would be the insanest thing. Don't stop recognizing warning signs for what they are.

Are you the flavor of the week, or the secret recipe? Anyone angling that hard for the former, probably doesn't know how to appreciate the latter.

Stay sweet,

Jeff

Denise Ryan said...

Thanks, David - you are the best!! We'll have to craft a plot over lunch sometime soon! : )

Denise Ryan said...

Jeff - you are right! And what a perfect way to put it!!! Thanks for the comment and the good advice! : )