Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Chocolate Culinary Adventure

Yesterday my Sorbet Sistah Sassy and I went to the Wake Tech Culinary Technology Annual Pastry Show & Culinary Salon. Whew - culinary technology. I can't even keep technology away from my food adventures!

I wanted to see all the culinary creations AND there was a cake tasting. I'll just confess now that I ate way too much cake. I'm a sucker for cake. I love cake. I might even worship cake. I love the cake and I REALLY love the frosting. YUM!!

The only bummer was that the cake was mostly white cake with white icing. There was a little bit of chocolate cake, but no chocolate frosting. Wha? Who DOES that? Not that it stopped me or anything, I only make note of it. I am proud to say that the chocolate cake went the fastest. (Duh, right?)

After eating enough cake for 20 or 30 people, I decided to check out the culinary displays. Sassy and I had already seen one destroyed by a picture taker. She kicked the table and the whole thing collapsed. I didn't even see it. Yeeouch!

There were a bunch of wedding cake looking things that I'm sure were works of genius, but 1.) there was no chocolate involved and 2.) you know my luck at dating - looking at wedding cakes just pisses me off. Now if somebody kicked the table and one of those fell over, THAT would be cool!

So I just look pictures of the chocolate!

I wish I'd gotten to sample these gorgeous confections!



Here's a chocolate sculpture:

I think it's kind of ugly. Actually I think it's really ugly.

This one is hard to see because of the reflection on the silver tray, but it was the checkerboard cookies I liked. To the right of those are fancy orange slices. Those green things at the far left just look scary.


These chocolates with the baby chocolate sculpture looked delicious:


These include coffee marzipan, toucans (?), raspberry bites, pistachio crunch, and lemon tarts.

More I wish I could have eaten (even though I was stuffed with cake):


These were so cute! One was like a baby pecan pie!


Another chocolate sculpture that was so much fun! See the chocolate gnome at the base of the tree?



And check out these chocolate toadstools:








And this crazy bird! Notice the chocolate nest:

There are so many fun adventures you can have without going far from home or spending much money. This was a blast - they even had a competition where the students were working while the crowd watched. Overall, it was a pretty cool event. There's such an interest in cooking and food these days opportunities are everywhere! And not just opportunites for foodies - whatever you are interested in - there are loads of ways to have fun pursuing your interests. All you have to do is keep your eyes peeled and get off the couch! The world is yours for the taking!

5 comments:

Kris, in New England said...

I think I'd have a headache from smelling all that chocolate.

A sweet, delicious headache.

There is a Chocolate Festival in Boston this weekend and I'm not going. I'm tied to a breathing treatment machine for asthma run amuck.

Darnit!!!

Denise Ryan said...

Rats!!!! I bet that would be fun!! Let me know next year and maybe we can go together! This would be a great time of year to go to Boston!

Hoping, of course, your alleries are better! Are they always this bad? I'm so sorry!!

Kris, in New England said...

Denise: I found out a little more about this Chocolate Thing in Boston. It is every weekend from January thru April. Yeah, this weekend is the last one for this year and can I go - no I cannot.

Anyway it is an annual event and it would be a HOOT and beyond to meet you up there. I'm sure I could collect some of my friends for a day of chocolate hopping.

And anytime of the year is a great time to visit Boston. Being my fave city...I love it anytime I can get there.

Denise Ryan said...

Kris - that sounds great! Is there a website or anything? We should do that - it would be soooo much fun!!

Kris, in New England said...

I couldn't find a website but I did find info on it. Just basic stuff. But I'll be on the lookout for next year for sure!!!

Oh and you HAVE to check out a new chocolate product on the market - Le Whif. I won't say more cuz I don't want to spoil the fun.