Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I Have Not Yet Begun to Fight!

Back to peanut butter and chocolate minus the God stuff.

This entry is going to be devoted to one company because all they do is peanut butter and chocolate:




I first came across Jer's at the Chocolate Show in NYC.

They make four bars (I have three of them) and the same flavors in "balls":






One of the flavors is Cara Mella - creamy caramel blended with fresh organic peanut butter:





This is what you find when you open all the boxes:





Two wrapped bars. Each box and the larger box of "balls" includes a card with a quote like:


I can resist everything except temptation. - Oscar Wilde


Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful thorns have roses.

- Alphone Karr


Pretty cool, huh?


Okay, back to Cara Mella - autopsy photos of the bar and the balls:





Eh - this is only okay. The caramel overpowers the peanut butter. Reese's Clusters do it WAY, WAY better. And WAY cheaper. The bar is $6.00.



Next is Toffee Break - buttery rich handmade toffee mixed with organic peanut butter.




YUM!!! The toffee chunks work great with the peanut butter - LOVE IT!! I also liked it with the milk and white chocolate, although I think the dark chocolate is by far the best. The dark chocolate is the best foil for the sweetness of the toffee.



Next is the Original Incredibar - decadent organic peanut butter with crunchy rice crisp.







Wow - this one is great too! Not as complicated as the toffee - more peanut buttery. The rice crisp gives it texture. I found the white chocolate to be too sweet. Milk chocolate is really good, but I also liked the dark chocolate. Pretty darn good!!


And finally Pretzo Change-O - crunchy baked pretzel bits & pieces combined with their signature all-natural peanut butter center, then smothered in a selection of premium milk, dark or white chocolate.






White chocolate was too sweet here - I liked milk and dark chocolate better. But I preferred toffee and rice to pretzel. It just seemed like of bland - maybe too little play off the saltiness of the peanut butter? Adding pretzel made it too salty.


Overall - I think the toffee combo is worth trying because I haven't seen it anywhere else, but there are two bars you can get in the grocery store that do the pretzel and crispy combo. We're going to look at them tomorrow!!

You know, the more candy I try, the more I like the good ol' mass produced brands. I guess I'm just not a gourmet. I have yet to find a peanut butter chocolate combo I think beats Reese! But I'm not giving up - as long as there are contenders, I'm up for the fight!!!

No comments: